Wednesday 5 February 2014

Last Impressions: Estée Lauder Double Wear Light Review





There comes a time in a girl's life when she has used the same foundation for a very long time and she knows it inside out. Well that time has arrived for me and the foundation in question is Estée Lauder Double Wear Light which I have in the lightest shade. I have used almost 2 full bottles of this and I have also used the heavier coverage version which is just called Double Wear so I feel like I know it pretty well by now. 

First of all I want to talk about the coverage. It's called light because it is a lighter coverage than the original Double Wear. However Double Wear is a very full coverage therefore Double Wear Light is still a good medium coverage so it really covers up those blemishes. If you used a really small amount it would be sheerer but I do like a decent amount of coverage so I like to build it up a little bit more.

I wouldn't say this foundation is a fully matte finish but it's also definitely not a dewy finish. I'd say it's more of a satin finish which the less oily could get away with without powdering but I like to pack on powders anyway just to get a nice even and matte look to my skin. When I first put this foundation on in the morning, I'm always really disappointed with how it looks because it isn't natural looking at all as in it doesn't look like skin and it is fairly obvious that I'm wearing foundation. However after an hour or so it properly sinks into my skin and I begin to like how it looks. 
Throughout and towards the end of the day is when this foundation really comes into its own. Seriously it does not budge and the way I know this is because I have a really bad habit of not washing the foundation blob off the back of my hand (I know I'm gross). And when I spot it in the middle of the day and try to rub it off while I pray no one saw it, I physically cannot get it to come off my hand. Yes, its embarrassing but at least then I know it's still on my face as well. I've worn it for 10 hour shifts and when I look in the mirror I don't run away screaming 'devil child'. 

There are 11 shades in total. When I bought this bottle the shade 1.0 was the lightest colour you could buy but after doing some research, it seems that some new shades have been added to the range. There is now a shade 0.5 which I presume is lighter than 1.0. This completely ruins the point I was going to make which is that 1.0 is way too dark to be the lightest colour as it is too dark for me and there are people much paler than me. If I were to buy this again I would definitely buy the new lighter shade as that was my only major complaint about this foundation. 

The good thing about this foundation is that because you don't need very much on each application the bottle lasts much longer than you would think. As you can imagine this is a huge relief as I would not want to be forking out £28.50 every month or so. 

I wouldn't recommend this foundation to people with sensitive skin as it can be quite smothering on the skin because of it's long wearing properties. My sister actually gave me my first 2 bottles of this (1 double wear original and 1 double wear light) because of how much it irritated her skin. I probably wouldn't have tried this foundation if it wasn't for her because I don't like spending that much money on something I don't know if I'll like using. I'm very glad she decided to hand them down to me instead of selling them because it's saved me on so many occasions when I know I need a foundation to last all day. 

The packaging is very sleek and looks high end which I appreciate as I am paying top dollar for it. 

Overall, I really like this foundation and I'm definitely going to be swatching that new shade although I think I am going to try other things before I buy a new one. For example I would like to try the Clinique Stay Matte foundation as this has similar claims but is about £6 cheaper. However if I find that doesn't work out for me, I'll be running back to Boots/Debenhams/wherever I can get my hands on it because I know that this foundation ticks almost all of my boxes. 

Have you tried this foundation? Let me know what you thought of it! 
Thanks for reading this (rather long) review! I hope you enjoyed it. 
Lots of love,



No comments:

Post a Comment